Thursday, March 29, 2012

Congratulations to the 2012 Shaver Scholarship winner, Cassie Hansen


Girl Scouts OSW is pleased to announce the winner of our 2012 Luella and George Shaver Scholarship winner: Cassie Hansen of Girl Scout Troop 250. Cassie is part of Service Unit 9 in Lake Oswego. She has been a Girl Scout for 13 years and currently attends Lake Oswego High School. 

In her application, Cassie wrote:

“Girl Scouts has made me the strong woman that I am today. I know that I’m going to do great things despite my odds and circumstances that I am a good person. I know that I am a beautiful person inside and out because I was taught that by all the wonderful women who are Girl Scouts, and my mentors. At the end of this year I will be getting my lifetime membership, and I hope that someday I’ll get to make an impact on girls’ lives through Girl Scouts.”

Only Gold Award recipients are eligible for the scholarship. For her Gold Award project, completed September 2011, Cassie planted a sensory garden at Mt. Hood Kiwanis Camp.

"Many campers have ASD or Autism Spectrum Disorder," Cassie wrote. "This makes eating in the large, crowded and loud dining room a challenge. The sensory garden provided a quiet place just outisde the dining hall for campers with ASD to calm down. It also provided a quiet place to relax in the middle of the busy camp."

Congratulations, Cassie! Girl Scouts OSW wishes you best of luck in the future.

The Luella and George Shaver Family Scholarship is given to an outstanding Girl Scout who best demonstrates the same qualities that Luella Shaver, a longtime, dedicated volunteer showed in her life as a Girl Scout. The scholarship began in 1982 and is awarded each year to an exceptional graduating Girl Scout Ambassador who earned her Girl Scout Gold Award. It is awarded for educational pursuits, such as college, vocational training and/or apprenticeship programs at an accredited school. The scholarship recipient is determined by a special committee and panel of judges, including Luella’s daughters Mary and Zizi Shaver.

About Luella Shaver
Luella Shaver started with one Girl Scout troop but soon was leading three troops! Her deep dedication to Girl Scouting was apparent in the remembrance shared by her daughter, Mary, that quitting piano lessons could be tolerated but quitting Girl Scouts – never! Luella also served in several leadership roles and was well known and loved as she exemplified true Girl Scout values and vision. The family has established an endowment to ensure that the Luella and George Shaver Family Scholarship Fund will be available forever.