Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Girl Scout Taylor Lenzen Testifies at Portland City Council

Girl Scout Ambassador Taylor Lenzen was on hand this morning at the Portland City Council meeting to testify that the Council should declare March 12, 2012 Girl Scout Day in honor of our 100th Anniversary. Watch Taylor's speech in this video and see the text version below.



Every year I help my mom plan West of the Willamette Girl Scout Day Camp.  In 2000, a family friend started this camp and about 20 people attended. Twelve years later, we now serve around 400 campers and adults from the Portland area. My mom took over the position of Director in 2008 and I knew that I wanted to help in some way. I had grown up at this camp and I felt that the best way to give back to the camp that helped mold who I am today was to step-up and get involved in the planning.

My position started out small, attending core staff meetings and occasionally giving input, but with confidence, would increase in the following years. I started entering the registrations in the database and would place the campers into their units that they would be in for the camp week.

This year, I have the official title of “Program Aide coordinator,” where I will be mentoring the 8th grade to 12th grade leaders throughout the week of camp.

I cannot say how much this camp and Girl Scouts has changed the person who I am. I used to be the shy girl who would never leave her mother’s side and now I am a senior at St. Mary’s Academy, getting ready to take on her next stage in life. Currently, I hold a high position on my school’s newspaper staff and am the editor of the school yearbook. All of these are feats that I never envisioned I would achieve and I do not believe that I would be here without the support of my camp and Girl Scouts.