Friday, May 17, 2013

Congratulations to our Shaver Scholarship recipient, Liliya Benz

Congratulations to Liliya Benz, the winner of the 2013 Shaver Scholarship! Liliya's Girl Scout Gold
Award project was titled "Fabric, Blocks and Quilt Tops for Foster Kids," completed in November 2012. Liliya has been a Girl Scout for 13 years and is also involved in track and field and band at Canby High School.

"Girl Scouts has been a very important and influential part of my life since I began in kindergarten," Liliya wrote one of the scholarship application's essay questions. "The program has taught me many valuable life skills and has helped me to become the confident and courageous woman that I am today."

Liliya plans to attend the University of Oregon Clark Honors College and major in mathematics or history. She will also play flute in the marching band.

"All the skills that I have learned in Girl Scouts will definitely impact my future. After I go to college in the fall.... I can see myself getting involved in the new community that I will be a part of. After I graduate, I believe I will enter the workforce as a strong confident woman, eager to accept life's challenges and handle them with integrity," Liliya wrote.

She continued, "Girl Scouts has taught me to have faith in myself and that hard work and dedication pays off when all is said and done."

Congratulations on the Shaver Scholarship, Liliya! GSOSW is proud to call you one of our own, and best of luck in college!

About Luella Shaver 
Luella Shaver started with one Girl Scout troop but soon was leading three troops! Her deep dedication to Girl Scouting was apparent in the remembrance shared by her daughter, Mary, that quitting piano lessons could be tolerated but quitting Girl Scouts – never! Luella also served in several leadership roles and was well known and loved as she exemplified true Girl Scout values and vision. The family has established an endowment to ensure that the Luella and George Shaver Family Scholarship Fund will be available forever.


For more information about Girl Scout scholarships, please visit http://girlscoutsosw.org/girls/scholarships.