Thursday, May 31, 2012

Emma Helmig's Bronze Award Project: Making Burp Clothes for the New Moms of Molalla


Thanks to Emma Helmig and Troop Co-Leader Jill Groves of Troop 40435 for contributing this entry!

My name is Emma Helmig and I am a Girl Scout Junior with Troop 40435.  I just finished my Bronze Award project.  While I was working on my It's Your World: Change It! Journey, I began to think about what community project I might want to do for my Bronze Award.  My mom is expecting a baby and I thought I'd like to do some thing that would help other expecting mothers in Molalla.  I love to sew and figured I could use that skill to make baby burp clothes. I figured out that if I made each burp cloth 12" X 14", I could get nine burp clothes per each yard of flannel.  My initial plan was to get five yards donated so I could make 45 burp clothes for the Pregnancy Center.  I took my plan to my troop's Service Unit and presented it to the troop leaders.  Luckily, two of the leaders donated enough fabric for me to make the 45 burp clothes double sided.  From the moment I began planning to when I turned over the completed clothes, my project took about two months.

Attention Girl Scouts! Submit your or your troop's activity to be featured on our blog! It can be a trip, a Highest Award project - just about anything! Email rhubbard@girlscoutsosw.org or submit your story at http://girlscoutsosw.org/share