Thursday, May 24, 2012

Girls Get IT: A Gold Award Project that Focuses on STEM


Thanks to Gold Award recipient Savannah Loberger for this video and description of her Gold Award project.


For my Gold Award I wanted to run a day camp for girls in the community to show them that girls can do engineering and technology. The camp was five days for 7th-12th grade girls who didn’t know what engineering was. Our focus is on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). I want to give girls in the community a hands on experience encompassing all aspects of STEM so they can learn with their peers in a fun and creative environment; something that they might not otherwise have the opportunity to do. I want them to realize STEM is for girls too. I coordinated volunteers to teach classes, created curriculum, and sought out donations, and designed a one stop website for girls all over the world about what we did and how they can do it in their community. I want girls to feel confident in an overwhelmingly male environment. I hope that I can show girls that they can do whatever they want to even if it means breaking down the barriers of stereotypes.

With the overwhelming success of the camp, I am continuing the project providing two first year camps and a camp for returning girls.

I want the girls to realize all the opportunities that are out there for them and help them open doors. In my mind the most important thing is for the girls to have fun! We are currently accepting applications at www.GirlsGetInTech.org

Camp Information
Thanks to Savannah for sending in this additional information about camp!


Girls Get IT! (Innovative Technology) Camp

Camp 1
 July 9-13 (Session 1)
 July 16-20 (Session 2)

Camp 2
 July 23-27

Time? 9:00am - 12:30pm

 Cost? $20 (includes yummy snacks!)

 Where?
  Hillsboro High School

Visit the website for applications and more info or to check out the video from last year’s camp:
www.GirlsGetInTech.org

First come, first served so hurry and get the application filled out!
     
If you have any additional questions email GirlsGetInTech@gmail.com
Thank you for helping to encourage more girls in the fields of technology and engineering!